10 Things You Must Do Before Publishing A New Or Updated Website
There are certain things that webmasters do, not because the site will break if they aren’t done, but to improve the overall performance of the web pages once they go live. For instance, the site will never break because of missing meta descriptions. However, failing to put these minor details can hugely affect its performance online.
If you have performed a site update, it is important to ensure that all the old URLs are redirected to the new ones. Making sure the new site structure works seamlessly will go a long way to keeping your pages ranking at the top of SERPs. Using 301 redirects will pass link juice to the new URLs making sure you maintain top rankings. All the outgoing links also need to be tested. You can use an online tool to do this fast and effectively. If you don’t do adequate testing and redirects, you will get a lot of broken links after updating your existing site.
Steps To Ensure You Maintain Top Google Rankings
Your custom web design Miami needs to be optimized for search engines. We’ll cover a few things you need to do to ensure the web pages rank high on search.
1. Create a robots.txt file where you will include all the files and directories that you don’t want to be indexed by search engines.
2. Avoid having more than one H1 tags on the same page.
3. Make sure all the images you add on your website have alt attributes. Add a short and natural description to your images too.
4. For all pages that you want to get indexed by Google, add a short and relevant meta description. Don’t stuff keywords in your meta description as this can have negative consequences on your rankings. A good meta description will improve CTR in Google search results.
5. If you have pages with content that is not unique, use the nofollow/noindex tag.
6. Make sure you use canonical links on your pages.
7. All pages should have a descriptive and relevant title element. Avoid long and boring titles to improve CTR. Don’t stuff your page titles with too many keywords as this may compromise your rankings.
8. Create an XML sitemap for your site and add the URL to your robots.txt file
9. If you have designed your website with WordPress, make sure you allow search engines to index the site on the privacy settings section.
10. Change your permalink settings to make the URLs user-friendly and search engine friendly.
Make sure you test your website for cross browser compatibility. Remember that people use different browsers including Internet Explorer to access your website. Fix any issues that your users may experience accessing the site in a different browser. Most importantly, make sure the website is responsive. Responsive web design will not only give your users a great experience but also improve your site rankings. Responsive web pages are favored by search engines since they are considered to offer the best UX.